11 Elements to Elevate Your Success
By Machen MacDonald
If you are looking for ways to be more effective and get more done start getting excited. I am going to share 11 elements you can start incorporating immediately to optimize your potential.
1. Build Your Willpower Muscle – This is your ability to do what you need to do when you need to do it in order to grow yourself and your business. The key to increasing your willpower is to start off small. Select an area in your life where you want more willpower. Reduce variability and set up a time at the same time every day to do that particular activity that will enhance your willpower. This will make it habit.
2. Leverage your physical environment – Set up your surroundings to help you engage your willpower. By organizing and clearing the clutter you will be less distracted and able to keep your focus on what needs to get done. Set clear effective boundaries so you know when you are off track as soon as possible and can get back on track with more ease.
3. Stop doing contaminating actions – Identify the one behavior that, if you eliminated it, would make the biggest positive impact. Then, start limiting it or eliminate it entirely.
4. Start doing contributing actions – Identify the one action or behavior you are not doing that can have the biggest positive impact. Then, just do it!
5. Shore up your foundation – What do you do that lends itself to you being ON! For you, is it exercise, meditation, proper nutrition, or something else? These are the rituals that if you are consistently doing them they will lead to having more good days. Resurrect the ritual.
6. Segment your intentions – Segment your day and set an intention of how you want to be and what you want to accomplish during that segment of your day. This will allow you to feel like you can maintain control throughout your day. If you experienced a less than desirable meeting it doesn’t have to ruin your whole day. Before you head into the next meeting. Let go and get clear on how you want to be and what you want to accomplish in the next meeting.
7. Quit being a perfectionist – Those who achieve great things know that failure and mistakes often precede success. For them it is all about progress and not perfection. Onward!
8. Make yourself proud – Step forward vs. stepping back. Ask, “How can I make myself proud with this task or project.” Then, do it. At the end of life most people regret what they didn’t do versus what they did do. Find what it takes for you to go for it.
9. Have a system for getting things done – There are plenty of systems, processes and tools to help you stay organized and execute the right actions. Find the one that works for you and work it.
10. Become masterful at prioritizing – The reality is that there is always going to be way more to do than there is time to do. It comes down to getting the most important things done that will lead to your success while not getting caught in the busy trap. Learn what successful triage looks like in your line of work and practice, practice, practice.
11. Focus on what makes you happy – Happiness precedes success. Failures mistakenly think that once they achieve success they will be happy. Successful people know it is about being happy on the journey to their achievements. Happiness and success is a state of mind and not a state of affairs.
This week select one element and commit to making it part of your daily practice. Next week pick another one to add to your mix. In just 11 weeks you will have elevated your capacity to achieve more success.
Make it up, make it fun, & make it happen!
#1 bestselling author Machen P. MacDonad, CPCC, CCSC is a certified life and business coach with ProBrilliance Leadership Institute in Grass Valley, CA. He helps business people gain more clarity, confidence and certainty to live their ideal life. He can be reached at 530-273-8000 or online.